OpenStreetMap overlay

OpenStreetMap overlay

Until just a few weeks ago, we used only a single ‘peak names’ source: geonames.org. It is a global collection of toponyms created and updated by the community in a wiki style. Each toponym in geonames is a point, characterized by its geographical position and class. This is ideal for labelling peaks, but it is very limiting when dealing with spatial features, like rivers, lakes, roads, boundaries, etc.

To overcome this limitation, we decided to explore the more advanced data coming from OpenStreetMap. OpenStreetMap is “a free editable map of the whole world” that can be seen as a huge collection of geographical elements. There are three types of elements: nodes, ways, and relations. Nodes are just geospacial points, like geonames’s toponyms. A way is an ordered interconnection of nodes that describe a linear feature such as a street, or similar. A relation can group other elements together, nodes, ways, and even other relations. Instead of the static node classification of geonames, in OpenStreetMap each element is associated with a number of key-value pairs (tags) describing the element.

Today’s picture was taken by Michele Zanin from a panoramic viewpoint near to the village of Fai della Paganella, looking South towards Trento, Italy. The peak names come from geonames, while rivers and the motorway are from OpenStreetMap. This is just a first example of an OpenStreetMap overlay; we plan to explore more deeply this kind of data visualization in the near future.

During the first Italian OpenStreetMap Conference (5-6 June 2009) OSMit, we met Steve Coast, the guy that started the OpenStreetMap project in 2004. He wrote a post on his blog about us, using today’s image as an example.

9. June 2009, 13:28 hide comments Posted in: Posts Tagged with: , , The permalink address (URI) of this photo is: http://tev.fbk.eu/marmota/blog/2009/06/09/openstreetmap-overlay/

Comments (7)

1. [...] yellow GPS track you can see in the photo was the footpath taken by Michele last weekend to get the shot seen in a previous post and today’s image was taken from my office window just after lunch 12. June 2009, 14:16 [...]

Marmota » Why it all began — June 12th, 2009 at 14:19
  2. [...] servicios, y los OSMeros están constantemente descubriendo nuevos usos. El Cycle Map, Offmaps, Marmota o CityMurMur son algunos ejemplos de aplicaciones que no se pueden hacer con otros [...]

3. [...] to note that Cima Palon (2232m), 102km away and Col Santo (2112m), 106km away, are visible in another photo we published months ago, taken far away from Venice, from a village just North of Trento. 17. [...]

Marmota » Crimson lagoon — September 17th, 2009 at 14:32
  4. This is a really nice presentation. This is actually better because you can get to see the terrain even clearer.

carid — June 10th, 2011 at 08:25
  5. This is actually pretty near to see this perspective with the overlay of the street names, mountain names etc, thanks for posting this :)

Jason O’Leary
    Webmaster: Candy Direct

Jason the Candy Man — July 12th, 2011 at 23:18
  6. [...] told Marmota to extract LHC and SPS shapes from OpenStreetMap and to overlay them onto the image: this is the result. The green circle is the LHC, while the smaller red one is [...]

Marmota » LHC overlay — August 1st, 2011 at 15:24
  7. Very nice photo by the way! Wow! It reached 43 kms! Also, a great overlay on the map! This is very informative! But what I love the most is the photo itself! Thanks for sharing!

Kudos!

Martin A. — September 13th, 2011 at 03:25
  8. I normally do not write comments on posts, but your post urged me to commend your writings. Thanks for writing this, I’ll definitely popular your site and arrive back once in awhile. Happy blogging.

Artikel lesen — June 19th, 2013 at 01:09
  9. I really realize for your brilliant Efforts on spending time to post this information in a simple and regular manner, so That viewer and readers can easily understand the concept. I Efforts must appreciate you posting these on information.

clipping path — August 30th, 2013 at 17:56
  10. My friend sent me a link to this website on Facebook telling me how awesome it is and I have to admit that he was right. Do you mind if I share it on my Faceboook wall?

Continuer — September 14th, 2013 at 15:40
  11. We can choose some smart devices to know the exact location in geographical environment. I think there we should use smart antenna to search anything in real life elements.

Avalon RF — October 14th, 2013 at 08:43
  12. Nice application of data. We need to use more and better the access we have to information in order to help us make an impact in enviromental issues.

descripción — October 26th, 2013 at 20:58
  13. I am not totally satisfied with it and I am getting more and more response.

Angeljacket.de — November 4th, 2013 at 09:35
  14. Very usefull map. Thanks for sharin it.

continuer — March 25th, 2014 at 12:53