OCR (Optical Character Recognition)
and Text Recognition:
Commercial research and products.
This page provides pointers to commercial available products for
machine and hand printed text recognition, pointers to some
evaluation tests and to free OCR solutions.
We state emphatically that: (1) we do not endorse any particular
product, device or devices; (2) this list is obvioulsy incomplete; (3) the
links may be old; (4) comments, suggestions, and corrections are
welcome; (5) TeV of FBK cannot attest to the accuracy of information
provided by these links or any other linked site. Providing links to a
non-FBK web site does not constitute an endorsement by FBK or any of
its employees of the sponsors of the site or the information or
products presented on the site.
Last updated: April 24, 2013
Carla M. Modena
e-mail: m o d e n a (at) fbk . eu
OCR companies and products for typed and machine printed text recognition
- ABBYY software:
- FineReader, OCR system (standard, professional), FineReader SDK (for Linux too)
- Mobile OCR Engine
Acrobat Capture, OCR, font, and page recognition.
From paper to PDF format. Color, gray level, binary input
- AnyDoc Software
- Aramedia provides
- VERUS, standard and professional, Arabic OCR
- Cognitive Enterprises (now see Nuance).
- JiNa OCRConverter. Free trial.
- Creaceed with:
- Prizmo OCR (for Mac).
Scanning and OCR for iOS
- Aktiv Rekord Hungaria
OCR, ICR, OMR and bar codes
- CTA TextPert DTK from CTA, Ciencia i Tecnologia Aplicada
- Datacap Inc. Data Capture & Forms Processing Software (now part of IBM)
- Electronic Document Technologies
- Biz Card Reader. EDT OCR and Card Reader Developer's Toolkit
Documents reader, complete page recognition
- TypeReader for
end users and for developers (free trial copy)
- OpenRTK OCR SDK for Mobile and Embedded System
- free web OCR for invoice
- Idea Technosoft with
- Infty Project, with
- Recognize and translate scientific documents, including math symbols
into LaTeX, etc. It incorporates the use of three OCR engines.
- Free demo.
- IRIS - Office Automation (multiple ICR/OCR engines with voting algorithm):
- Readiris: OCR software
- IRISPen: OCR pen input
- Cardiris: OCR for business card
- Texiris: OCR for UNIX
- Cognitive Form
- Lead Technology
- Ligature Ltd.,
- Mentalix, Inc.
- Pixel!SCAN API. Multi-engine text,
barcode and handprint recognition software for UNIX
- Neoptec (they acquired Mimetics)
- Data-Scan form processing
- EasyReader (?)
- NovoDynamics developer of
- VERUS: Middle Eastern language OCR (Arabic, Farsi, Dari, and Pashto)
- ArborScript: indexing and retrieval of scanned document databases
- Nuance Communications (formerly of ScanSoft, a
division of Xerox Corp., which
included Caere (which included Calera with WordScan) and Recognita Corporation Hu with Recognita Plus and Recognita Development Toolkit) + Cognitive Enterprises with Cuneiform and Tiger OCR. All in once - all in nuance.
- OmniPage and
OmniPage Pro - Optical Character Recognition
- OmniForm - Electronic Forms Creation, Editing and Filling
- ScanSoft SDK ToolKit for Developers (it was TextBridge API)
- Recogniform Technologies, SpA:
OCR, ICR, form identification, form removal. The engine is based
on neural networks
- SDK: DLL, VCL and ActiveX for developers
- Full applications
- TopOCR, OCR Software
for Camera or Smartphone (Windows) (2009)
- Transym, TOCR for integrators
- SimpleOCR (formerly WOCAR)
- Freeware. Free OCR application and royalty-free OCR toolkit
- Vividata, Inc.. OCR for Unix and Linux
- OCR Shop (based on Caere OmniPage technology)
ICR companies and products for hand printed / hand written text recognition (now also known as HTR)
- A2iA -
Artificial Intelligence and
Image Analysis, with CheckReader (CAR and LAR),
FieldReader, and AddressReader.
Cursive, unconstrained and constrained handwriting and
machine-printed recognition software
- ABBYY software with
FormReader, for handprint form processing
Aktiv Rekord Hungaria -
Forms processing, OCR, ICR, OMR, barcode
- Accusoft with
(= TextWare + Symbus Technology) with
Genesis (was it InScript? - where is it now?) and
FormWare: Forms processing and reading. Now part of EMC Corporation.
- CereSoft Inc.
with DocAgent, FormAgent and FreeStyle Developers Tool-Kit.
Form-processing with freestyle handwriting recognition capability
Comcom Systems, Inc. with ELA Recognition Engine API.
Data capture and forms processing
- CharacTell Ltd.
with SoftWriting, and iREAD Forms (voting along with the
proprietary engine "ACR");
recognition of unconstrained handprinted notes
- IRIS with
IRISXtract for Documents.
- GDI, Inc. with
for handwritten and machine printed characters
- Greensoft with EasyView ActiveX
for Free Form Data Capture, OCR/ICR (based on Kadmos engine for the
character classification task)
Systems with Papyrus platform
- Neoptec (formerly Mimetics)
with EasyReader API (?) and
hand-marked form processing. Recognition of handprinted separated
digits or uppercase letters, OCR, barcode, checkboxes
Mitek Systems Inc. with
Mobile. QuickStrokes API. ICR, OCR, forms, CAR
- OpenText, formerly
Captaris Document Technologies
(Captaris acquired Oce' Document Technologies GmbH -
formerly CGK: Computer Gesellschaft Konstanz mbH), with
the basic engine RecoStar.
ICR, OCR and mixed print
- OrboGraph with OrboCAR.
Software-only Courtesy Amount Recognition (CAR),
Legal Amount Recognition (LAR) engine
- Oyster Software, Inc. with
FormsPro for data capture
- ParaGraph International, now in
with CalliGrapher, on-Line Handwriting Recognition System,
and various applications.
WritePad: ICR for Android and Smartphones
Off-Line Handwriting Recognition Systems for cursive handwriting,
unconstrained hand print or a combination of the two
- FieldScript (form field type recognition)
- AddressScript (mailing address recognition)
- re Recognition Technology
with KADMOS, OCR/ICR engine, developer kit
(it acquired Pearson NCS), with NestorReader (formerly OMNItools from
OCR: tests, evaluations, comments
- OCR Techniques in Mail Sorting: A Review of Algorithms, Tech Report, 1984
(it was here: http://www.crc.ricoh.com/~hull/pubs/techrep214_1984.pdf)
- Tests of machine print accuracy - annual reports 1992-1996
at ISRI / UNLV.
Now available here with images, ground-truth and performance toolkit
Tests of OCR accuracy on hand printed characters
NIST OCR Databases (NIST)
- OCR Software Review, by A. Albright and S. Hailes
(it was at http://kachina.kennesaw.edu/~mking/is425/productevals/ocr)
- Four OCR packages for Windows
that deliver speed and accuracy. Byte, October 1994
(it was at http://www.byte.com/art/9410/sec12/art4.htm)
- Word for Word. Seven OCR programs are tested.
PC Magazine. January 20, 1998
(it was at http://www.zdnet.com/pcmag/features/ocr/_open.htm)
- Charakterkunde, J. Heyer. PC Professionell (in German). Mai 1998, p. 174-185
(it was at http://www.zdnet.de/produkte/artikel/sw/9805/ocr01-wf.htm)
- OCR software eases text input chores. PC World. July 1999
(it was at http://www.pcworld.com.hk/Comparison/Comp0799.htm)
- Erkennungsdienst, J. Heyer. PC Professionell (in German). Dezember 1999
(it was at http://zdnet15.zdnet.de/produkte/artikel/sw/199912/ocr01_00-wc.html)
- OmniPage versus TextBridge, Gary Coyne, Applelinks
(it was at http://www.applelinks.com/reviews/ocr_tbvomni.shtml)
- An informal OCR comparison, G. Welcher, August, 1997
(it was at http://www.opc.on.ca/doc_img/details/ocr_dtl.html)
- Products Review: Optical Character Recognition Applications.
FineReader Pro 5 and OmniPage Pro X Get the Job Done --
with Your Help, Christopher Breen, Macworld, June 2002
- Products Review:
The Next Generation of OCR, K. Monson. PC Magazine, December 2005. Readiris Pro 10 Corp. Ed. - OmniPage Pro 15 - Abbyy FineReader 8.0 Pro. Ed.
- Products Review:
The Best OCR Solutions, G. Berline. PC Magazine, August 2008. Abbyy FineReader, OmniPage Pro, TypeReader, Adobe Acrobat Pro Extended
- Products Review:
Two OCR packages
for Linux compared. Joe Barr, LinuxWorld, 2003
- Linux OCR: A review of free optical character recognition software
Austin Acton, blog, May 2007
- Linux OCR Software Comparison blog, June 2010
- OCR products comparison TopTen reviews, 2011
- The Best OCR Software PC Magazine, 2013
- Comparison of optical character recognition software. Features in a single table.
Other links e.g. OCR resources, open source OCRs
- Go to
Character Recognition Bibliography
- Go to
Document Analysis Bibliography
- Wikipedia - OCR
- Historical review of OCR research and development Mori, Suen, Yamamoto, Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol 80 No 7 July 1992
- OCR - Optical Character Recognition L. Eikvil, History, Methods and Applications, 1993.
- OCR page by Tapas Kanungo
- Tesseract OCR
developed by HP and University of Nevada in Las Vegas and open-sourced
in 2005. Now at Google
- Cuneiform OCR
Linux port project. Developed by Cognitive Technologies.
plugin for SpamAssassin to check image attachments
- OCRopus free document
analysis and OCR system (2007)
- OCRad - The GNU OCR Free Software
(or jOCR) -
GNU Public Licensed, OS Independent. Command line.
- NHOCR - a command line OCR for machine-printed Japanese language
An Optical Character Recognition program for Linux. Command line.
- CLARA OCR
CLARA OCR - a free (GPL) OCR for Linux (http://www.claraocr.org lost...)
- LIOS easy-ocr, linux-intelligent-ocr-solution, free, for linux (2012)
- OCRFeeder document layout analysis and third party free ocr
- TopOCR by TopSoft, Mobile OCR for Digital / Cell Phone Cameras (freeware)
- Free OCR free online OCR. Upload your image for OCR.
- Online OCR another free online OCR. Upload your image for OCR.
- Free Online OCR another free online OCR service. Upload your image for OCR. PDF Converter.
- a list of totally free OCR
Last updated: April 24, 2013
Carla Maria Modena
e-mail: modena (at) fbk . eu
FBK, formerly ITC,
Povo - Trento - Italy.